The Opening of the Walnut Hill Rose Garden was a success!
On Tuesday, June 15, 2010 from 4 to 6 pm, the Walnut Hill Rose Garden was dedicated before a large crowd of volunteers, Chamber of Commerce members, city employees, elected officials, students, local garden club members and the public. The event included live music, hors d'oeuvres, a cash bar, the unveiling of the new rose garden sign and most importantly, more than 800 growing rose bushes, all planted by volunteers earlier this spring.
Thanks to all who came; a great time was had by all!
We are also pleased to announce that their strong tradition of quality and service continues as they supply the concrete for our trellis that will form the gateway into the beloved Walnut Hill Rose Garden. Throughout Connecticut, Tilcon has been an industry leader in concrete and paving services since 1923. Trellis construction is occuring April 6-7, 2010.
On of the most celebrate rose suppliers, Star Roses owned by The Conard-Pyle Co., has made the very generous donation of 280 roses to the Walnut Hill Rose Garden. Founded in 1897, The Conard-Pyle Co. grows an extensive range of perennials, ground covers, grasses, woody ornamental plants and roses. Take a look at their 2010 catalog, where you can see some of the roses they have donated.
One exciting way we have been getting the word out on the Rose Garden restoration project is by working the Wild Card Tent at the Berlin Farmer's Market on Saturdays throughout the summer.
We've made a lot of friends and built a great list of supporters. We have had several people volunteer and make donations! Most importantly, we have heard wonderful stories about the Rose Garden - memories of holidays, weddings and hot summer days! Walnut Hill Park has been an important part of our childhood memories and we are thrilled that our effort has so much support.